Tuesday 24 May 2011

i got a pocketful a pocketful of sunshine

..thank you amoxillin 500.

my smile is back again;-)



**

the very reason why you should, in your damnest best to avoid being diabetic..

for a stringent flosser/religious interdental brusher/regular dentist-goer like yours truly (and if i remember correctly, always have been called "best smile" in all my kinder years), i have to suffer gum problems. one of the many complications of diabetes..

but i'm not complaining. rather that, than other organs in my body..(not yet,anyways).

apparently,because we are Southeast Asians (and also the Afro-Caribbeans), we are 10x more likely to be diabetic in the middle of our lives than our European counterparts (i read that in a hospital pamphlet). our diet is the main cause.

and if you have family history of the disease, you are double more likely to get the disease too. why I am.

most Filipinos think that Diabetes is a normal occurence, but really once you are diagnosed as such, its a death sentence. you are not going to die from the disease itself, but from its complications. more like AIDs (but in a different scale).

most of my family has it, and its sad. but im grateful, that with modern medicine the complications are kept minimum and at bay coupled with a strict GI (glucose index) diet.

so, if you are borderline diabetic. please watch out. if you could save yourself the trouble, run away from the donuts as much as you can.

and keep your glucose count stable and non-fluctuating.

(a long history of yo-yo dieting didnt help with me,either). im sure my sugar count would plummet and skydive number of times in a day in those years.

now, i could say, i am better at keeping my glucose level closely monitored. i also do not wait for my body to tell me, i need sugar. and i also am better at sticking to a bar of chocolate than an entire box (*hide). i time my food intake, and making sure i keep the levels in a steady flow.

i wish i knew about diabetes then, the way i do now. i could have avoided being one.

**

pocketful of doom, not sunshine,more like it ;-)

but, just sharing some bits of information about this condition. who knows, i could save one of you the pain.

6 comments:

konsuy said...

this is good information, chel. amping diha.

kookooforcocopuffs said...

thanks chichikoy;-) i will..;-) you too;-)

Patricia said...

thanks chel. i'm concerned about this because most of my family developed diabetes in their early 40's and i'm fast approaching that age.

kookooforcocopuffs said...

my pleasure, Patricia..i just want to save my friends if i could..my little way of doing so...

Liza said...

Hala, diabetic diay ka Chel? I am keeping an eye on my blood sugar too. My father is diabetic and I was on insulin when I was pregnant with Lucas because I had gestational diabetes. I am likely to have the disease in my lifetime if I am not careful. Haayy, unsaon nalang...

Take care diha, Chel!

kookooforcocopuffs said...

Hala, diabetic diay ka Chel? I am keeping an eye on my blood sugar too. My father is diabetic and I was on insulin when I was pregnant with Lucas because I had gestational diabetes. I am likely to have the disease in my lifetime if I am not careful. Haayy, unsaon nalang...

Take care diha, Chel!

****

Liz, do your utmost best to not have it..your organs decay while buhi pa ka when youre a diabetic and thats the honest truth...and youre mosre susceptible to all kinds of infection..i wish i had more knowledge about this preventable disease back home..