Wednesday 5 January 2011

something for the heart ..and liver



i snatched this photo from my cousin Tony's FB site. this was taken by her phone on New Year's day at mama's house. they congregate all the time for mama's cooking. i miss mama's cooking, and more importantly i miss Mama, my siblings, and i miss them all when i saw this photo:

Simone, Ana and Mika...i wished i was there for that day


**


since 2010, i have been drinking a cleansing green tea every night. its not a diet tea, but more of a cleansing one for the liver and kidneys. i've read so much about nettle and fennel as having cleansing properties and somehow it worked with me. i take it once a day at least, and on weekends, i have it in the morning too.

i've started drinking it since 2009, but i slack some nights, but last year, i was able to do it every night, even when we holidayed in India and Dubai.

now, i'm trying to detox my liver even more too. i am not an alcoholic by any means (i dont take a single drop. i am not a goody-two-shoes at all, its just i get anaphylactic reaction to it, for some reason).

being diabetic and taking alot of medication, one of the organs that could get affected in the long run is the liver. my poor liver has to take alot of purifying than a normal person's would. same as that of an alcoholic. so its a no-brainer i have to take good care of it.

i have found a detox regimen being done on alcoholics, and one of the drinks they have to take after a long night of boozing to purify their liver is the ginger/lemon drink.

here's the recipe.


hot water in a mug
squeeze a lemon or two
chopped and crushed ginger (like an inch size)
and a teaspoon of honey

drink while hot/or as hot as you could take it, in the morning before breakfast.

(it actually tastes good, trust me)


**

its supposed to flush some toxins out of the liver.

**

i had my first drink of it this morning. and i'm planning to do this as regularly as i could so i could have a baby's liver (hehe) by the end of 2011.


**

as you could guess, my resolution are small baby steps in maintaining whatever good health i have .

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I sometimes drink the salabat for my Mom without the lemon. Mom loves the ginger tea over any other hot drinks now. And with brown sugar, it tastes better. Maybe the addition of the lemon juice makes it more effective?

konsuy said...

very good kaayo ka chel. i'll try your concoction and hope i'll remember (murag sayon ra man)

kookooforcocopuffs said...

I sometimes drink the salabat for my Mom without the lemon. Mom loves the ginger tea over any other hot drinks now. And with brown sugar, it tastes better. Maybe the addition of the lemon juice makes it more effective?

**

hi ate lou..ive heard salabat is good too coz my lola used to take it..but i dont remember what its good for..

i took that recipe from a friend who works in an alcoholic rehab facility:-)

kookooforcocopuffs said...

very good kaayo ka chel. i'll try your concoction and hope i'll remember (murag sayon ra man)

**

thanks chi...maynalang madungag dungagan gamay atong lifespan chi:-) hehehe..try this chi..sayon ra gyud siya:-)

Mommy Blogs said...

This reminds me of salabat gyud. I pray you'd have the baby liver you deserve. Be healthy, take care... A lot of us will get sad if you get sick.

Jo Quijada said...

CHEL, i didn't know you're diabetic. diabetes runs in my family, and i think i am on the borderline. this recipe you posted seems very simple and doable -- and i don't doubt you when you say it tastes good.

stay healthy, CHEL! i agree with T. a lot of people (me included) will be sad if you get sick.

kookooforcocopuffs said...

This reminds me of salabat gyud. I pray you'd have the baby liver you deserve. Be healthy, take care... A lot of us will get sad if you get sick.

**

hahhaa, thanks T:-) i am making sure, my liver is as baby as it could get,so that the tablets and meds im taking works to its expectations..and one less organ to worry about,too:-) thank you,che:-)

kookooforcocopuffs said...

CHEL, i didn't know you're diabetic. diabetes runs in my family, and i think i am on the borderline. this recipe you posted seems very simple and doable -- and i don't doubt you when you say it tastes good.

stay healthy, CHEL! i agree with T. a lot of people (me included) will be sad if you get sick.

**
Hi Pie:-) I am, ive had DM for a very long time now..it runs in my family too, sadly. Be careful Pie..what made me have DM as early (I was 27 when i was diagnosed) was all that yoyo dieting a long time ago..once you get that big jump between/from high and low (vice versa) is not good...i could have delayed it as much as i could..you make sure, have small frequent meals and no big sugary snacks..(listen to me!!)hahaha..

thanks so much for your concern pie, it means so much:-)